Monday, December 28, 2015

Learning to love...

...the run.

I haven't been here in quite sometime, but I'm dusting off the cover, turning the page and starting again.  Seven years ago I made the decision to run my very first (and only) full marathon.  26.2 miles seemed like such a daunting task that I penned my first entry here in hopes of marking my journey, of learning what did and didn't work for me and most of all, holding myself accountable. 

December 6, 2008 I completed the first running goal. 26.2 miles of excitement, fear, pain, mental struggle, elation and sadness marked that journey over the course of 6 hours.  I won't recount that story, but suffice it to say running and I have had a difficult love affair with running since that day.

I have run many races over the course of the last 7 years.
  • Mud Runs
  • Wine Races
  • 1/2 Marathons
  • 10Ks
  • 5Ks
  • Triathalon
But I have never run another 26.2 and I can honestly say that I do not have a desire to.  Part of me feels like a fraud...like an imposter because of it.  Regardless of how many miles I run, how many medals I hang on my wall, how many race bib's I tuck away, there will always be the elusive marathon that changed the way I view running, training and racing.

For all the work and effort I put into it and for all that I failed to attain in my misguided perception of beginning, I must admit that a passion for running and racing was planted and has continued to grow.  I have spent the bulk of my time - not focused on the act of running for sport, but rather for the race day excitement.  There is nothing wrong with this, however it is time I face my fear and stop running (pun intended). 

No, I do not mean I am hanging up my sneakers.  Instead I am committing to focus on the run and getting back to basics.  2016 is about accepting me for who I am and determining to be better tomorrow than I am today.  For me this means clearing the running slate and improving from January to December. 

Commitment
Focus
Determination

The only way to achieve progress is one step at a time...

No comments: