Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The mirror lies...

Who is this person starring back at me each day I look in the mirror? Obviously it cannot be me, at least not the me I see in the photographs hanging from my wall...or can it? Is it really possible to see the me that I would like to be without actually seeing me for who I am and what I really look like?

I am 3mths post baby today and I am 6lbs from my pre-baby weight. I feel like I am moving in the right direction each time I step on the scale and notice it has dropped, I look in the mirror (fully dressed) and think, yep, making progress-looking better, I even notice each time I put on something from my closet and it fits a little looser, yet when I look at the photos hanging on my wall, drop by to pick up the professional pics of me and my baby, or even take a quick snap with the digital camera to update a profile pic I notice the excess "chub" around my face or my mid section.

I started taking a step aerobics class at least once a week (shooting for 2x a week just don't always make it) and when I look at myself in the full length mirrors while wearing an oversized T-shirt I think "yeah, I don't look that bad at all" - but the next time I get to class and I am actually wearing a 'form fitting' aerobic outfit I think "ewe, that isn't supposed to jiggle like that."

So which is it...flabby fattie or fake front? Perhaps both, I'm inclined to believe the photos as the real deal only because my mental perception cannot play tricks on those images. Maybe that is why I have only half heartedly been putting effort in with regards to by workout regeme. I know I need to push myself but sometimes I believe I'm already making strides so if I slip it's ok - not entirely true when I look at the photos.

Today is a new day and I've decided that the mirrors lie and that I need to focus on the me I want to be...I am going to use these to my advantage in order to keep alive the vision of "what I want to look like" and then I'll use the photos as a guide to see how close I've gotten or how far I still need to go.

I will get there, it's not going to be easy, but I will get there!

No comments: