Thursday, May 15, 2008

Slacker is Me

Ok, so I've been avoiding this week. I don't know what happened really, it was like I was revved up at full speed ahead, had it all mapped out and then "bam" I came crashing to a halt.

Monday I met with a new running group "MIM" and did some sculpting techniques, some short form runs and a few short tempo'd runs. The coach [Mark] provided some good insight and suggestions on what I need to do/change to help my running. It seems that in the past few months I had been training 'anerobically' as opposed to aerobically. Per his suggestion I need to get a heart rate monitor and work on staying in my 'zone.' Simple terms...I need to walk/run/walk/run and build on this instead of run, run, push some more and just try to get thru it.

It's not hard to see that over the past few months I've been without any real direction in my running...my main focus has been to run 5k's and get to where I run at the top of my group. In my own 'untrained' way I've gotten myself this far but I know I'm going to need help going the marathon distance. I really enjoyed monday night's run, I felt worked, but not over-worked. The problem was tuesday (and each day subsequent since) that I've felt like the life has been sucked out of me. I've made the plans to go but as soon as I get home and get changed ... I just get so tired and don't ever leave. Even the hub has commented on it.

Today is hill's training with MIM unfortunately I do not get to run with them today due to a change in M's soccer practice. Nothing scheduled for this weekend so instead I will start preping myself for monday night's run with MIM. Good news is that I'm on the books for Zoom thru the Zoo (4 miler) next thursday, so you can bet I'll be getting back to the pavement soon. (Probably about the time the gray clouds and rain disappear.)

I've got to start somewhere if I'm ever going to get this thing off the ground - right?

No comments: