Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Just Running

It's been a while since I posted here. I haven't stopped training, but do you ever have one of those moments during your training when it all becomes so routine that it starts to seem a bit too mundane to post about?

For me, at least, that is how I feel. I can read other runners blogs and laugh at their witty insights or their profound knowledge into what makes a runner tick, but when I run I just kind of exist. There are rarely funny moments for me to share, it's not very often that I have some type of mental break thru where the world (or my world at least) makes sense and so I feel like when I come here it's always the same old story.

I came.

I saw.

I ran.

I am still in training.

Running is an escape for me. Not in a bad way, but it is a few minutes (or hours) to just be who ever I aspire to be. No one asking me for anything or limiting my ability to achieve anything because of bureaucratic red tape...nothing standing in my way except for myself.

In an essence - it is a moment of pure joy and fear all rolled up into one. Possibilities are endless, limits are met only when the body says it's "had enough" and dreams never fail to be big. During a run I can do almost anything - and I feel great. Give it a chance and that string of hope I hold on to will turn into the rope that I use to hang myself when the day arrives to face the marathon head on and I fail to obtain what I set out to achieve. It's that paralyzing fear that sets in when my runners high wears off.

So what do I do? Do I come here and repeat day in and day out...I run therefore I am? Do I tell you my fears and hope that secretly I am not alone in this or do I do nothing? Perhaps I will do all three - most likely this will be my outcome, but for now...I'm going to just run.

What will you do?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life means change. I walk...

Amy said...

Ahhh.. yes, I think thats when you know your training is going well.. when it's just a routine and you're getting it done. That's a good thing!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

i don't train, but i'm glad it's working for you...me, i eat. sad. true. i should run.

Unknown said...

I walk, I don't run. Not that I don't want to, (I'm just not built for running)

MUSIC is key for me. I constantly update my ipod with new music I can walk in step to. It keeps me uplifted and energized.

tootie said...

I feel the same way. Training seems pretty routine now, and it seems like I have less to write about.

But we are slowly getting closer to the marathon, especially now that it's already October!

Unknown said...

Very good......

April said...

Hey girl...come back to us!!! Seriously, though, I totally know what you mean when you say that running day after day provides little blog-worthy material. I think we've all been there and most bloggers seem to have periods of silence when they arent blogging much...and that's ok!! I guess there's more to life than running?!? haha...
How is training for St. Jude coming along? I'm thinking of doing the half...