Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Drowning gnats

Yesterday (since I'm childless this week...thank you grandma) I decided to start my typical monday workout a little earlier than normal. On a typical monday I get to the park about 5:45 and we start about 6:00. That gives me enough time to do some easy jogging and get warmed up before the group runs. Yesterday however, I got to the park about 5 and thought I would jog for about an hour before the rest of the group got there.

Holy crap was it hot! Nope not just hot, but HUMID too. Now, I'm no stranger to heat and humidity, I grew up near the gulf (hell) and have learned to love heat and humidity...I just never ran for hours on end in it. The difference between hell where I grew up and here is that in hell there is air...hot air, but air none the less. Here, there is a thick, heavy, very still oxygen that you suck in when you breath. Needless to say after half an hour in this I was soaked and the poor little gnats that got near me were drowning in the sweat.

By the time everyone else arrived that night and were getting ready by dowsing themselves in off...I was good to go - Bug's just stayed away at that point, too afraid of drowning!

By the end of the night, I had ran a total of about 7.5 miles, done some strength training and stretching. I felt good, I felt 'worked' by the end of it but still not completely drained. This is just the start of the summer heat and I've already learned that the motto is not..."D*mn it's hot" - instead it's become "Heat is my friend...I love the summer heat." (yep keep saying it, eventually you'll convince yourself!)

2 comments:

April said...

You aren't kidding...this Memphis heat has been HOT and MUGGY...ugh.

Do you run with the MRTC on Monday nights? I used to run with a Saturday group, but haven't gone in a long time.

krissy said...

Oh come on...I can't even run to the toliet.

Your such a cute little thing too. Maybe you can try to convience me to run, walk or even just get my ass off of the couch.

Well, even though I don't want to say it.....you did good...real good.

I have lost 11lbs since December but my butt has a long ways to go. Keep me motivated!!!