Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The First Hurdle

The first hurdle in the road to success is beginning the project. I say this because so many times I say (and hear from others) that if I could just find the time to get started or I'll start this tomorrow, which inevitably gets prolonged until...forever. What I am most amazed at is that it is usually the projects I have only a half-hearted interest in that end up in this realm of my life, the other ones, the ones I really want to do, well they get started, just not always finished.

So the first hurdle for me, also the biggest, is acting on my desire to succeed. If I stop putting off until tomorrow what needs to be done today, I will be that much closer to my goal and one step closer to doing what I want to be doing.

This weekend was my 1st hurdle. I have been talking about 5k's for some time now and have been half-heartedly working out when I finally said 2 weeks ago that I was going to suck it up and just go for it. I signed up for the 2nd annual Daffodile Dash with the hopes of completing it under 40min. Yes, I know, that is quite a bit of time but I am factoring my post-baby body and lack of proper nutrition as well as lack of exercise (of any real value). Not to mention that I ran this race last year (with the same hopes in mind) and completed the race in 36min.

Sunday arrives and I get ready, a little nervous, but not bad. Once the race starts I hit play on my iPod and take the first few steps...not too bad, I can do this. about 6 min into the race my lungs start burning. Yep, it's definately gonna hurt today. Step after step, I keep telling myself I am that much closer to the finish line and I'll be better for it. Mile 1 gone, keep running, Mile 2 gone, just keep going, almost done now. I round the corner and head back into the park for the last mile. People are everywhere and I'm tired, but I'm also exhilarated by the idea that I am almost finished, I've almost completed the race. Mile 3 done, nothing left but the line...I can see it from here and somewhere inside I found the energy to run. Run faster than I did any of the other miles. I cross the line 36:59. I'm done.

Lessons Learned --
1) Once you start it's not so bad
2) I need to set better expectations of myself (40 v. 36)
3) Working out does not = good conditioning, working out right does.
4) My daughter ran her first 1mi fun run...excuses does not a good example make, but by taking the first hurdle head on, I know now the rest can't be far behind.

No comments: