Sunday, April 27, 2008

One more down

Today was another 5K for me. Number 2 actually for this year and I can say that I am SO excited and thrilled and fueled. It was a pretty crappy day...it has been gray, rainy and about 60 degrees outside. I decided that it probably was the best of days to get the girls out for a race so instead I went at this one alone.

It was odd. I felt very alone and almost out of place even though we were all there to run. I did a few stretches and then went for a quick run down the block and back - I noticed it seemed easy and my only thought was, wow...it's usually harder than this to get going. I generally struggle with the start of my runs. I don't know if I'm not stretched out enough or if it just takes me a bit to get into the groove, but today it wasn't like that.

The group heads for the start line and I follow. It's not a downpour, but it is steady rain. It's cool but it doesn't feel that bad...I think my lungs are probably going to burn after I start running, but I'll deal with that when I get to it.

Horn goes off and we are start the run. I round the first corner and start to head uphill...its a slight incline, nothing major, but this is my first 'encouraging pep talk.' (The crazy lady is at it again) Run, Run, Run...I hang in there for the first mile no stop. I hit the 1 mi marker and walk for about 30 sec, run run run mile 2 is a mix of running and walking, mostly running but a few 30 sec walks too. I'm finally heading into mile 3 and its all done but the crying.

At this point I'm soaking wet, my pants are sticking to me, my hat is dripping, my jacket is soaked, my shoes have been thru too many puddles to count and I'm starting to feel the cold. I've traded places with a guy in front of me a few times and it's here he finally starts to slow. I run along side and encourage him on...almost there, you can do it, come on! He's at it again as we fall into step to run the final bit.

We pass the last of the police lights, step up to marker 3 and start to pick up the pace. I don't have nearly the 'umph' left in me after this race that I had at the last one, but I've still got some left to give, so I kick it up a bit. I'm looking down the way, watching the time tick off when i realize we just crossed the 34 min mark. What?! Yep, that's right...I kick up with whatever I have left because by god, I'm going to cross that line before we hit 35min and I succeed.

In the end I crossed the line at 34.45 just 2 min under my last time of 36.59. I'm exhilarated (considering I didn't do much running this week) It may not be the best of times, but for me, it's just a reminder that we continued effort I can get to where I want to be.

No comments: