Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Getting back to it

It's been just under a month since I posted here, yeah I've been slacking and it shows. Yesterday I finally decided to hit the pavement and get some 'outside' running in. This was motivated largely in part to the upcoming 5K (sunday) that I have scheduled for myself.

Is it a little extreme...perhaps. Would I have been motivated without it...perhaps not. I have been in such a rut that I thought my only way out was to schedule a 5K and make me get off my rear. It is working so far, I hit the road yesterday for a 'quick' jog to see how my legs and lungs would hold up in the fresh air. Not too bad, it was rainy and overcast, about 70ish, no problem. My first 4 minutes into the run, I thought my lungs were going to burst, the burn set in and I could do was tell myself it would ease up if I just gave it time. It did and I continued. I walked a bit to let my lungs recover and after about 12min into the run my legs decided they were going to turn to jello and start their burn. Once again...push thru, just push thru. I made it back home, it ended up being about 20-30 min run, not sure how far because I just ran until I was ready to stop, but I am pretty satisified with the time.

I made it home and managed to do a bit of arm weights, leg lifts, abs etc. I didn't die and even though my lungs still have a slight 'twinge' when I breath, I feel good. I actually feel invigorated to know that I am running this weekend. Scared that it will kick my butt - of course, but happy to have the opportunity.

No comments: